HORMONE PELLET INSERTIONS
REJUVENATION FROM THE INSIDE OUT
HAROLYN C. GILLES, M.D.
CALL NOW FOR A FREE CONSULTATION
PHOENIX & SCOTTSDALE LOCATIONS
Subcutaneous pellet therapy involves a minor surgical procedure usually performed under local anesthesia. A small incision is made and then a hormone pellet about the size of a grain of rice is implanted under the skin. Wound healing takes between three to five days, during which time period of time the patient is advised to avoid tub bathing and swimming.
HORMONE PELLET IMPLANTATION
Over the years, numerous studies have demonstrated that bio identical hormone pellet therapy is very efficient at restoring youthful hormone levels, which usually decline with age. Placed right under the skin, these pellet implants release low, constant doses of hormones, providing the body with the necessary amount of hormones it needs to function optimally. A great thing about using bio identical hormone pellets is that, unlike other hormone replacement therapies, they don’t produce a ‘roller coaster’ effect, which can have a dramatic impact on your health.
THE PRO'S AND CON'S
Since pellet therapy uses bio identical hormones, it’s ideal for anyone who wants to benefit from a hormone replacement therapy without the drawbacks of synthetically derived hormones. But this isn’t the only benefit associated with pellet implants. Some other notable advantages include:
- Convenience: Unlike other hormone products that must be taken or applied once or twice a day, hormone pellets last for about three to four months in women and four to six months in men.
- Safety: Since bio-identical hormone pellets deliver steady levels of hormones, the body is able to absorb the amount of hormones it needs in a regular manner. In addition, unlike hormones included in oral combinations, which increase the production of clotting factors when passing through the liver during metabolism, hormone pellets are absorbed directly into the blood stream, thus decreasing the risk of stroke and heart attack. Another essential thing is that natural hormone pellets have no side effects, because the body uses just what it needs.
- Efficiency: Compared with other hormone replacement methods, hormone pellet therapy has by far given the greatest relief from most symptoms relating to menopause and andropause, including hot flashes, night sweats, mood swings, insomnia, fatigue, low sex drive, osteoporosis, and weight gain.
- Dosing Adjustment: If the dose is inadequate, adjustments can be made through supplementation with additional hormone pellets or another bio identical hormone replacement method. Usually, supplementation is needed until the next pellet implantation, when the dosage can be adjusted according to patient’s response.
While the pellet therapy offers many advantages, there are a few possible disadvantages, the most significant of which are listed below.
- Complications: Since implanting hormones under the skin employs a small surgical procedure, certain complications, such as infection, nerve injury, and surgical scars may occur.
- Metabolism: One of the greatest debates regarding hormone pellets relates to the fact that bio-identical estradiol may be metabolized quicker than other hormones. Although no evidence attests to this fact, some specialists believe that the body will metabolize this compound too quickly to last for months.
- Pellet Re-Insertion: Depending on the biological individuality of each person, pellets may need to be inserted more often than every four or six months. As a general rule, hormone pellets are inserted more often in the beginning and less often after several insertions.
Contact us now to schedule a free consultation.
If there’s anything else you need, we’d love to hear from you!